Upgrading En-suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently planning to upgrade my en-suite bathroom with new tiles, flooring, new shower enclosure, sink & WC. This was existing when we moved in 2-years ago and other work on the house and having baby in between delayed us from decorating this room – it is about 20 years, looking a little tired so good time to change it!

Existing
Sub-Floor: 90% Chipboard with Part of it Plywood above joists
Floor Finish: Vinyl rolled mat floor.
Non-tiled Walls & Ceiling: Painted Artex
Splash-back Areas: Ceramic Tiles Shower, Sink & Toilet area.
Shower Enclosure: Currently installed is a 760 mm x 760 mm pivot door enclosure. (The shower tray is installed on adjustable feet above the plywood floor – has a P-Shaped trap and water directly underneath which then goes onto a waste pipe further along).

Proposal
Sub-Floor: Existing
Floor Finish: Karndean, Amtico or similar
Non-Tiled Walls: Possibly tile these or paint
Splash-back Areas: Tiles
Shower enclosure: I am going to replace with another pivot door enclosure but may increase size to 800 mm or 900 mm square!
(I have been looking at enclosures and in my opinion they look better if a Slimline (45mm) type tray is used, some of the options I have looked at offer a Typoon type (Self Cleaning) wastes)

Need a little bit of advice on before I commence buying materials for the upgrade and commence installation.

My main concerns & questions for the above as follows:

• Regarding the waste & Trap requirement on new shower tray, if I opted for a Slimline (45mm) type tray? Do you have to necessarily use a P-Shaped waste arrangement below the tray (I have read this acts as a water seal and prevents smells etc) or can I use something like this shown on Plumbworld website: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/typhoon-vortex-self-cleaning-433-16263 - would this do the same sort of thing and eliminate the need for an U bends etc? If not I suppose I can always buy a shower foot extension kit which extends the height of the tray and leaves a void beneath.

• The Walls which are not tiled have Artex - I was thinking of tiling here or plastering and painting! is it best to remove the Artex first before plastering or tiliing? – Walls are plasterboard beneath so not sure if steaming Artex off is a viable option? I am not sure I can plaster or tile directly on top of Artex as have concerns that I will not bond sufficiently!

• The majority of the sub-floor is chipboard apart from an area where my shower door leaked last year and damaged a patch of chipboard so I replaced with Marine plywood - I understand the Karndean floor has to be bonded to a Plywood sub-floor Question is should I replace the whole sub-floor with Ply or can I get away with using existing structure – Chipboard Is all T&G and not easy to remove? I would prefer a more sealed floor as the current floor is not sealed to the subfloor below it is just a roll of Vinyl – I thought about tiling it but have had issues with tiled floor on the floor below - I tiled my downstairs bathroom above Wooden Floor board sub-floor & 6mm Marmox boards using Limestone Tiles and I have had issues with a very slight movement in floor cracking grout. We don’t use the bathroom downstairs much only to go to the toilet or bath my child. We use the en-suite everyday so need a flooring which is going to last us.

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Gregg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back