Upgrading Van Speakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I practically live in my van (Dispatch mk2), and as such I was to treat myself to some upgraded speakers (the ones in the doors - 6" I believe).

I still have the original stereo. Am I right in assuming that any new speakers I put in will only be as powerful as the stereo (and being a factory fitted one, it will be pretty puny?)

How can I find out the output capacity of the stereo and the rating of my current speakers?

If I end up fitting an after market stereo, will the remote controls on my steering wheel still work?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Most modern speakers can handle all that the radio can chuck at them, the problem is that a door is not the ideal mounting for them, not f you want any base anyway. You need something rigid and as large as possible, the trick is to isolate the front of the speaker from the back as best you can. I piece of 3/4" chipboard would be make a reasonable baffle. I have also seen a piece of concrete pipe used to mount a bass speaker in to good effect, if you have room for it.

A good quality pair of speakers will no doubt improve the quality as will a good radio but you don't get the best from them in a normal car enviroment.

Peter

your existing speakers should have the wattage written on the back
any upgraded speakers will be a vast improvement on the sound quality but most decent speakers have quite big magnets on the back of them, this can cause problems with fouling the window when its wound down

Sponsored Links
Actually you might be better off upgrading the radio first and see what the speakers do.

The weakest link in my last two cars has been the factory fit crappy radio. Replaced that with a £100 Pioneer head unit and its been perfectly fine on the stock speakers.

Obviously I'm not entering any sound competitions with it :D

Back