Upholstery query - knackered springs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old suite (must be 30 years old) and the springs in the two chairs are knackered - on taking a look underneath I see that one chair (the better of the two) has all of the springs apparently intact and unbent but they now have too much give when sitting in the chair.

The other chair has two broken springs - one in the middle and one towards the front. Or rather they look very badly bent (so I'm assuming broken) but I haven't yet removed the lining on the underside for a proper look, just pulled up one edge for now.

The springs appear to be of the type called tapered springs.

Here's a photo of the springs of the better chair - the photo doesn't show them all but it's just to give an idea of the types of springs, etc.

Any thoughts on how I could fix this myself?

Hopefully this is the right place to ask, if anyone knows of an upholstery specific forum please let me know.
Springs.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back