Upstairs PVCU window top of frame flexing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of buying my mothers house from her. One of the upstairs Windows has a problem in that the top of the frame (horizontal part across the top) is flexing when you open the top opener. This is leading to the plaster cracking where the frame meets the plaster on the interior. The window is 1300mm wide.

The window frame meets the soffit board and there is no brickwork above it and for that reason no lintel as I assume it was not necessary (1968 build). Where some plaster has come away from the window opening I can see that above the window frame there is open space into the loft/behind the soffit and fascia boards.

How would one go about securing this window frame at the top?!!

Kind regards

Ian

Sponsored Links
I will try to get some next time I'm over there moving stuff in.

Not much to take a pic of though to be fair.

Silicone a flat piece of PVC trim to the underside of the soffit, finish off with a bead of silicone from trim to window and once dry will stop the window from flapping

Sponsored Links
Is the soffit wood or plastic?
If plastic, is it 18mm or 6mm cloaking? If it is wood or the thicker plastic, you could screw a batten across the front of the window and paint it to match soffit. Crank's tip is also ok, I had to do this on my last install but had to use duct tape to hold trim while silicone cured, so two visits up ladder if hard to access. Use the 4" wide trim, it won't deflect laterally.
You can also do same on the inside with some 2" cloaking trim, if it hasn't already been done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back