Nothing above the 1st floor window head but the soffit void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need some help and guidance... I've tried searching on the forum and web in general, but cannot find an equivalent scenario.

In 2020 we moved into a 1930's detached house with cavity walls. The house has original crittal windows on the rear elevation, and what appear to be replacement wood framed single glazed windows to the front.

We are in the process of having all the windows replaced with aluminium double glazed windows.

So far two of the 1st floor wooden windows have been removed and replaced with the new units, and the replacement window jambs and sills have been screwed to the bricks, but there is nothing above the window head apart from the void space between the internal cavity skin and the roof/soffit.

The old wooden window frame provided the structure for the wooden soffit to attach too. This wooden frame was deeper/thicker than the aluminium profile, and the frame overlapped the window board, hence the gap around the new aluminium window frame and the interior plaster/paper and exterior pebble dashing etc.

We currently have the usual gaps around the edge of the window that I will fill and finish. However, the next bit is where I need help.

What should I be doing to finish "above" the window head, especially as it is just a void, and there is a gap between the head and the internal wall too.

My initial thought is I need to cover the gap with plywood to give the foam/sealer something to back onto before I finish the internal decoration. And I will also need to replace the soffit and will need to attach it slightly below the top edge of the window frame (to prevent risk of water running back over the top of the window frame).

Keen to get guidance from those who have experienced similar.

Thanks, Keerat

Sponsored Links
Your most important point is insulation otherwise you will end up with mould problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back