Upstairs solid (fibre) internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm after a little advice.

I am in the process of replacing my bathroom suite. I've just removed bath, sink, toilet and the remaining tiles.

On the removal of the last tiles I've found a large damp area on one of the internal walls, which I had assumed was a plasterboard stud wall.

Which it isn't, It's maybe only 50mm thick and made of a condensed (straw/fibre/chipboard). The moisture from the old bathroom suite (electric shower was on an adjacent wall) has soaked through this and the paint is bubbling from the wall in the bedroom side of the wall. The wall doesn't appear wet to touch.

The house was built in 1985.

My plan, is to line this wall with aquaboard in the bathroom. What would be the best method of doing this considering there is no wall stud work to pick up on.

Will the wall now dry out? I'm hoping to rub back the bad area and get it re-plastered.

Sponsored Links
After some careful thought, I've decided to line the chipboard internal wall with water resistant plasterboard and then tank it. From what I've read aquaboard lets through moisture although it's not effected by it.

I'm using aquaboard still on the outside cavity wall which is adjacent.

I'm hoping the chipboard wall will now dry out sufficiently for me to get the bedroom side plaster skimmed.

That certainly looks like what I've got. I know I don't like partitions instead of walls :LOL:

I had plans to fit a thermostatic shower routing the pipes through an internal wall, which I've had to change, I've now got to chase the exterior wall for the pipework for the shower.

It's a shame that I can't see any way to use aquaboard on the partition, I'm just worried about being able to keep it properly secured.

Sponsored Links
i dont know much about it myself.dont know if aquaboard can be glued as well as screwed.drive a few screws into the strammit and see what kind of a fixing you get.try with and with out a rawl plug.just ideas tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back