UPVC Cladding in bathroom - advisable or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So currently the bathroom is being plasterboarded up - the walls are 2.7 high.

The ceiling has been boarded in normal and not moisture resistant plasterboard. I was planning on adding cladding and builder has said - no need to skim it if the ceiling is being boarded?

Wouldn't the steam eat away the plasterboard even if its covered by cladding?

Sponsored Links
Will you be fitting an extractor fan? Should be ok if so.

Sponsored Links
Will you be fitting an extractor fan? Should be ok if so.

yes an extractor fan - cannot decide whats better - timer or humidity one - in either case will be a quiet one - cannot stand noisy fans.

yes an extractor fan - cannot decide whats better - timer or humidity one - in either case will be a quiet one - cannot stand noisy fans.

It really need both humidity and timer. No point in it only running when there is moisture in the air and if triggered by PIR it obviously needs to run for a while after a toilet has been used to help extract smells.

Opening windows work, but only if not too windy and on the lee side of a property - you wouldn't want to open the bathroom window to have a gale blowing in, but on the lee side sucking out works OK. In my case my bathroom window is on the east side of the house so on the lee side. Problem is, under the window is the flat roof of my utility room. The flat roof is easy to climb onto, so my rule is that the bathroom window is always checked to be closed, before we go out. My insurance doesn't cover me if a window is left open or door unlocked - not that we have ever been burgled.

It really need both humidity and timer. No point in it only running when there is moisture in the air and if triggered by PIR it obviously needs to run for a while after a toilet has been used to help extract smells.

Opening windows work, but only if not too windy and on the lee side of a property - you wouldn't want to open the bathroom window to have a gale blowing in, but on the lee side sucking out works OK. In my case my bathroom window is on the east side of the house so on the lee side. Problem is, under the window is the flat roof of my utility room. The flat roof is easy to climb onto, so my rule is that the bathroom window is always checked to be closed, before we go out. My insurance doesn't cover me if a window is left open or door unlocked - not that we have ever been burgled.

Touchwood that you never are. It's a horrible feeling -not so much as the theft of items but the violation of your private space.

Well the bathroom window opens out with the kitchen roof below which is easy to climb onto and then into the house via bathroom.

I will look into a fan with a timer and humidistat. Cheers.

So currently the bathroom is being plasterboarded up - the walls are 2.7 high.

The ceiling has been boarded in normal and not moisture resistant plasterboard. I was planning on adding cladding and builder has said - no need to skim it if the ceiling is being boarded?

Wouldn't the steam eat away the plasterboard even if its covered by cladding?
No, steam won't eat away at the plasterboard if its a normal, domestic use bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back