upvc door catching at top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a house with a upvc double glazed front door. It has the catch in the middle where the lock/handle is and a bar at the top of the door and a bar at the bottom of the door.

The bar at the top of the door is getting stuck in its slot when the door is closed so when i try and open the door it is open at bottom/middle but stuck a the top.

The top and bottom bars both SEEM to slide up fine when you lift the handle.

I first thought the door has dropped but the actual cylinder lock and bottom locking bar operate fine and seem to be in the perfect position.

Can anyone advise?

My apologies for another upvc door thread but could not find one that was appropriate to my problem.

Sponsored Links
Best way to see if the door has dropped is to close it and pencil mark the corners then you can see how far, if at all, it is out. If it's ok then I would adjust the height of the top keep ( just unscrew it and move it up or down), there's not a lot of rocket science in putting a door together ( apologies :confused: ) so it may have just been fitted slightly off when assembled. If the door needs adjusting I would recommend a professional to do it, the longer the lock is under strain the more likely it is to fail.
You probably could adjust it yourself but depending on how it has dropped it there might be a number of reasons. Sometimes the hinges stretch and move the top of the door over towards the door jamb which is just a case of adjusting the hinges but if it needs packing then I would suggest getting someone who knows what they are doing :D

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I've adjusted with allen key at the top and it has improved it slightly.

I'm in the process of sourcing a new cylinder lock and handle as they are both old and worn.

I'm hoping this will help as well.

Sponsored Links
No worries.
Ebay will be your friend for sourcing new parts just make sure your old ones match in dimensions to the new one, a lot of sellers give sizes and details so it should be easy.
Good luck :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back