upvc door connected to French Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning a full width kitchen/lounge extension and am thinking of fitting an 800 wide upvc door hinged to the left 840mm brick return as the main exit door to the rear of the house, then fitting a pair of 900mm French doors with fixed windows either side in the remaining 4260 mm space which would then be fixed to the 350mm brick return on the other side of the extension.

I have attached a drawing so you can see what I mean

Is it OK to fasten the fixed window/French door unit directly to the 800 mm wide upvc door using a steel re-inforced upvc section or should I build a brick pillar on the side of the upvc door to give it more rigidity ? All doors will open outwards onto a patio.

I'd prefer not to build a brick pillar as it would restrict some of the light coming into the extension which is North facing.

Would it all be rigid enough without a brick pillar or would it all rattle when you closed the 800 upvc door.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back