Changing the main opener on a UPVC French door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building an extension and plan to re use our UPVC French doors. currently the door opens on the left hand side first however it would now be better if we could have it opening on the right. Is this something That can be changed?

Sponsored Links
I can't see why it can't be done, there are a few service engineers on here who will confirm if its possible. I've never seen it done and have never been asked the question. The mullion would have to be moved, leaving holes, trickles vents may need to be added, labour costs to remove and refit, other parts may also be required.
Personally for the extra ££££ I'd go for a new door, new guarantee etc

you will need to swap the mullion from one door to the other
You will also need to swap the door gears( locking mechanisms)

Reason being one will have slave lock and the other will have a master

to remove mullion

First take photo of keeper plate arrangement
then take measurements as to where they fit in relation to top or bottom

Remove all keeper plates
then you may see some caps that are covering screws
remove these they should come off with some persuasion
undo all screws if after all screws are off mullion does not budge then it will be snap on type with the door open push a long screwdriver down between mullion and door sash and pull towards you it will come away and you will see an aluminum mullion holder plate behind
once off transfer door gears to opposite doors and refit mullion on other door
Good luck .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back