Size limit for French doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are getting quotes for replacing our patio doors with french doors.

The opening is 1900mm wide and 2300mm high.

The first firm has said we'll need to retain the existing windows at the top and the french doors will be installed underneath as expected.

The second firm has said that the opening is too wide for french doors without having panels on either side as well as the windows on top. The reasons he gave sound plausible enough. Doors covering the full width will be heavy and prone to dropping on the hinges. We have a SW aspect which gets lots of afternoon/evening sun and this will cause the UPVC to expand and could cause issues when trying to close the doors. Presumably bigger doors expand more.

I've a third firm due on Saturday so will see what they offer.

Has anyone here got french doors in an aperture this size? The first firm seem willing to supply full-size doors, are these likely to suffer the issues mentioned above?

Cheers (y)

Sponsored Links
Presumably bigger doors expand more.

Yes. Coefficient of thermal expansion of uPVC is typically 0.06-0.08mm/m/degC - so taking 0.07 over say, -10 - very cold winter to +35 - very hot summer you would get 0.07 x 1.9 x 45 = ~6mm of expansion/contraction summer/winter across the two doors, and 0.07 x 2.3 x 45 change in height = ~7mm Dark colours are worse because they can easily heat up even more than ambient.

I don't have french doors that size but a panel each side will allow you to open the doors wide before coming into contact with any brickwork. I have an external cill which restricts the opening to 90 degrees.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

We are getting quotes for replacing our patio doors with french doors.

The opening is 1900mm wide and 2300mm high.

The first firm has said we'll need to retain the existing windows at the top and the french doors will be installed underneath as expected.

The second firm has said that the opening is too wide for french doors without having panels on either side as well as the windows on top. The reasons he gave sound plausible enough. Doors covering the full width will be heavy and prone to dropping on the hinges. We have a SW aspect which gets lots of afternoon/evening sun and this will cause the UPVC to expand and could cause issues when trying to close the doors. Presumably bigger doors expand more.

I've a third firm due on Saturday so will see what they offer.

Has anyone here got french doors in an aperture this size? The first firm seem willing to supply full-size doors, are these likely to suffer the issues mentioned above?

Cheers (y)
You have not mentioned the material to be used?, aluminium doors are often a 1m or wider.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back