UPVC Door Drain/Weep Holes Leaking Inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Really hoping someone can kindly advise me on how to fix this. Basically, the drainage holes in my upvc door frame end up draining internally into the adjacent skirting board, see here:

door-inside.jpg

Now, I guess firstly water should never get in here anyway right, so I should replace the gasket seals?

But it does get in there, and if I pour some water in those drain holes, it comes out under the internal skirting board.

My theory is that there isn't actually anywhere for this water to drain, on the outside it looks like this:

door-external.jpg

Might I be correct that that seal along the sill should not be there? Would removing it solve my problem? Or is there meant to be some addition drilled external drain holes?

Thanks so much for any help, it's a nightmare diagnosing!

Sponsored Links
Not an expert, but I would seal up the internal drains and drill some on the outside of the frame.

No amount of seal changing will entirely stop water getting in - you just have to make sure what does get in has a sensible way out.

Not an expert, but I would seal up the internal drains and drill some on the outside of the frame.

No amount of seal changing will entirely stop water getting in - you just have to make sure what does get in has a sensible way out.

Thanks, is it not possible there are outside drain holes blocked by that silicone seal strip? I'm a bit nervous about drilling fresh holes in.

remove all that silicone that is below you door ( the area you have circled in red ). It is blocking up the drainage holes on the underneath of the frame ( base drainage ). Whilst that is sealed the water is draining out of the door and onto the cill and has no where to go other than to ' sit and collect ' on the cill. My guess is going to be that either end of the cill hasn't been sealed ( where the cill , wall and door frame all meet ) , should always be a silicone sealant used there to stop any water taht gets under the door frame from running across the top of the cill and out into the cavity , or your case , into the house. My reasoning for suspecting this is the simple fact that someone has fillled in that gap between frame and cill ( the area I suggedt removing the silicone from ) .... unless the original fitter didn't know what they were doing or someone who was ' silicone happy ' saw a gap and filled it! Unfortunately HArry's method won't work , as without the base drainage holes being filled up ( which you could only do by removing the door frame ) , any water that needs to drain will still find the lowest point , yes a couple of drain holes on the front might help , but won't resolve it,. Also by sealing the ' internal holes ' you still need the water to get out and as soon as you drill through the pvc you will be entering the built in drainage cavity , as upvc windows are cellular

I have suggested a repair that hopefully will solve it but if not then I am afraid you will need to try and seal where the cill and bottom of door meet at each end of the cill...possibly by removing internal plaster you may be able to get some sealant in there , but idealy the door needs to be removed to make life easy ..... but hopefully by removing that silicone that is circled in red your probelm will be solved

Sponsored Links
remove all that silicone that is below you door ( the area you have circled in red ). It is blocking up the drainage holes on the underneath of the frame ( base drainage ). Whilst that is sealed the water is draining out of the door and onto the cill and has no where to go other than to ' sit and collect ' on the cill. My guess is going to be that either end of the cill hasn't been sealed ( where the cill , wall and door frame all meet ) , should always be a silicone sealant used there to stop any water taht gets under the door frame from running across the top of the cill and out into the cavity , or your case , into the house. My reasoning for suspecting this is the simple fact that someone has fillled in that gap between frame and cill ( the area I suggedt removing the silicone from ) .... unless the original fitter didn't know what they were doing or someone who was ' silicone happy ' saw a gap and filled it! Unfortunately HArry's method won't work , as without the base drainage holes being filled up ( which you could only do by removing the door frame ) , any water that needs to drain will still find the lowest point , yes a couple of drain holes on the front might help , but won't resolve it,. Also by sealing the ' internal holes ' you still need the water to get out and as soon as you drill through the pvc you will be entering the built in drainage cavity , as upvc windows are cellular

I have suggested a repair that hopefully will solve it but if not then I am afraid you will need to try and seal where the cill and bottom of door meet at each end of the cill...possibly by removing internal plaster you may be able to get some sealant in there , but idealy the door needs to be removed to make life easy ..... but hopefully by removing that silicone that is circled in red your probelm will be solved

Thank you! I just tried cutting a small hole in that seal and put some water in, there was a delay but it did come out that gap after several seconds externally rather than internally. So removing that all the way along should eliminate the problem :)

Just need to work out how to remove it without scratching the sill as it's too smaller bead to grip onto - might try some chemical remover.

glad to hear it works , just watch in heavy wind/rain against the door bthat you aren't getting any comimg in to the house at the points you mentioned before , as that would point to to theneds of the cill not be sealed ..

Removing the silicone? single edge razor blades , thin screwdrivers. if worried about scratching the cills , rest whatever tool you are using on a thin bit of cardboard, once you have the big ' chunks ' out you may find using a cloth vigorously helps remove thin layers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back