Small leak around door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some joists in my kitchen floor replaced last week due to rot. The skirting board that came off as part of the process was also completely rotten where it met the door.

On closer inspection I have noticed that water is coming through the bottom left hand corner (circled in red) when I pour water into the drain holes in the frame (also circled), even though all the water appears to drain out on to the sill and off onto the floor (and it isn't running to the edge).

My guess is that when water exits the frame onto the sill through the drain holes some of it is tracking back onto the raised part of the sill (which the window sits on), running to the edge under the frame and then coming round the side.

Question is how to fix this issue. Is there anything that can be done? I can't remove the frame as the exterior is covered in EWI and it would bust all that up.

My only thoughts so far are to drill down at 45 degrees through the existing internal weep holes to the edge of the frame and fit some plastic tubing so the water drains right out rather than going through the internal channels as it does now.

IMG_1990.JPG IMG_1992.JPG IMG_1991.JPG

Thanks for any suggestions!
Ben

Sponsored Links
Thanks - that's a good idea. Will take a closer look down there and see what's going on.

Like you say the ends of the cill probably haven't been sealed correctly.
While you are making a mess I would recommend doing both sides, Its done and you shouldn't have to worry the leak moving to the other side once you fixed that one

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, very useful. Out of interest is it normal practice when installing to silicone between the frame and the cill (at the ends)? Does the silicone break down/come loose over time like it tends to in bathrooms?
I am pretty sure this door was installed by the bodger who previously owned the house.

Yes the back edge of the cill and the 2 ends should be sealed before placing the window/door down on it.
Leaks like this are a common problem when doors and windows have been fitted by people who just don't know or care. Half of my call outs are to jobs where builders have fitted the windows and they have damp patch's in the corners. Sometimes all you can do is take it out and start again, Luckily you can hide most of the mess behind the skirting boards so you should be able to fix it without too much fuss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back