UPVC Door Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before posting on here, I have read through some of the threads with regard to PVC doors not closing tight to the frame resulting in an arctic blast coming through a small gap in the bottom of my UPVC door on the opening edge, I have fiddled with the compression thingy-ma-jigs and I have minimised the gap, the problem I am still having is, when pulling the handle up to catch it closed without locking, or even opening the unlocked door is really noisy. Pulling the handle up requires 2 hands and it requires some force to open the unlocked door. The catches on the frame for the door to lock into come loose because the screws are not long enough (I think that could be down to the cowboy my housing people sent to fit the doors, I had a composite front door fitted at the same time and was left with a door that was fitted 'in twist' and without a retaining screw for the front door barrel. It is a back patio door with a large opening window). What I am also noticing is, there is quite a bit of play in the door when just pulled closed and the handle not pulled up. Because the back door is in my front room, before I had a fiddle, the temperature at floor level was really cold

I have had contractors out to tweak the doors, it wasn't 'heel and toe'd', so someone had to come out to rectify that. Where the catch for the front door sits in the frame, there is an awful draught coming through, I'm jamming tissue in to stop the cold coming in and Sellotape over the key hole because you can see right through to the outside.

Help!

Any tips would be greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics of the doors overall from the inside so we can get an idea of the alignment and hinge types.

Thank you for your reply. I have fiddled with the compression thingys, the bottom one I can’t adjust anymore, but I’ve managed to minimise the gap at the top of the door. The door is still difficult to open when unlocked and to pull the handle up requires 2 hands, it is manageable with one, but needs a little extra push to enable the turning of the key.

ABB431CD-C891-4674-B2DA-4CF17490C025.jpegInside of the frame work 2D0D950C-FDD7-4034-95A4-41006B11DE30.jpeg Door edge (top) E9B8A4FB-B14C-4551-8318-C5A8FCD43F41.jpeg Door edge (bottom) 22C6806B-79D7-4D3F-977E-C379F29CD76F.jpeg Door catch. 0050F5A9-9064-4BD7-9578-9D0DEA7EA665.jpeg 52E1EB69-8B63-40B8-BF50-50D2CBA78218.jpeg Bottom of the closed back door (ignore the shredded carpet, kitten is responsible) the 2p is loose in the gap at the bottom of the door. B3595E39-FFB7-424B-9286-1BDBC6F0AF4C.jpeg Inside of the frame work (top)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back