upvc door leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had new upvc facias, soffits and guttering and a new upvc back door fitted. Roof stuff is ok but door giving some problems, still waiting for glass panel to fitted to top half, waiting 2 weeks for that now, maybe done by the end of the week. Locking mechanism needs adjusting which is fairly simple I believe by sliding the locking points in the frame up or down. More serious though is that the rubber seals do not butt up to the frame seals on the handle opening side especially at the bottom, in fact when the sun is on the door in late afternoon you can see the light shining through at the bottom corner on that side. The boss of the firm that did it said the door can be adjusted to cure that but I have my doubts. Heavy rain this afternoon beating on the door and sure enough the water leaked in soaking an old towel I put down.
Can the door be adjusted to stop this or is the door faulty? At the moment it is not fit for purpose. Any advice would be welcome before next visit by workmen.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the door has flag hinges pretty much anything can be adjusted.
I'm guessing they have temporarily fitted a solid white panel or a wooden board? This could also be part of the reason for the door being out of line as it is the tight packing of the glass that makes the door rigid.

Toughened glass does take a little while to have made, Assuming he buys his frames and glass from a factory. That factory probably buys the glass in from another factory so it does take a few weeks for orders, paperwork and the glass itself to be shipped around. 2-3 weeks in total I would say is reasonable.

Hopefully it doesn't get broken again on route :eek:. It does happen sometimes

Thanks fo reply, don't know what flag hinges look like, so not sure on that. Top panel is a plastic one while waiting for glass. Have found out on the web that low threshold upvc doors are not as weatherproof as a door with the higher bottom edge. Would you agree with this? Also there is no drip strip on the bottom of the door, not that it would help in my case as rain is getting througb at the side as well as the bottom edge on the handle side. Can these strips be fitted after a door is in place? Since my first post last night I went out and taped a long strip of plastic sheet down that side of the door. We then had another monsoon style downpour and the water still got in though not as bad as before.
Are you sure the door can be adjusted so the seals on the frame butt up to the door?

Yes generally anything can be adjusted.
Have you told them its leaking badly? They should send someone out to adjust it even if they don't have the glass in yet.
True PVC thresholds are more weather tight but they are also a trip hazard and there are regulations on these things, Sometimes you have to have a low threshold.
As for the drip strip point that out too when you phone them

Sponsored Links
Hi Gazman, thanks again, had the boss out yesterday and he he did some adjustments but cannot get door seals to butt up with frame at the bottom end on handle side. He said it has got him stumped. Not had this problem before he said. Checked frame and door with spirit level, all ok. Coming agaain this afternoon with one of his workman to fit glass and they will have another go at adjusting it. More torrential rain forecast for the afternoon, great! Can't be there either as am work. Keeping fingers crossed. As to drip bar I see they are easy to retro fit anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back