upvc door lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have replaced the multi point lock on my upvc door.
everything is ok engaging the multi point hooks and bolts but when locking the with the key as the cam reaches the top it is takes a bit of effort to go over to lock or unlock. when the old system was on the locking with the key it took no effort, the key just glided over.
is it newness or is something set up wrong.
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
When you lock the door with the key, lift the handle at the same time. If this eases the bolt throw, then the problem is in the allignment of the mechanism and frame keeps - ie they need adjusting.

hi handyhands
i have tried what you said, lifting the handle whilst locking. still the same.
i removed the cylinder to check it's operation out of the door. it is smooth. do you think that the hooks are not opening fully, so not allowing the cam to turn easily.
i take it that all cams are the same standard size

hi
when i replaced the multi point lock i changed the old one to one that has a split spindle. would that make any difference.
also if i open the door and then set the hooks and bolts, so there should be no restraint on the mechanism and then try and lock the door, it still is hard to turn the key.
is it possible that the gearbox is faulty or something inside it has become loose restricting the key turning.

Sponsored Links
If its the same when the door is open, and the cylinder is fine out of the door, then it would appear the mechanism could be a little stiff and require lubrication. Remove the mechanism and ensure no rubbish has fallen behind it - restricting the movement. Oil it and work the mechanism up/down to get the oil into it. When you put it back into the frame, also ensure the cylinder fit through the door/mechanism isn't tight, as the cylinders can bend and this also causes them to stick. HTH.

hi
cylinder slides in no problem
will have to remove the mechanism like you said and check no swarf or whatever is restricting it and lubricate it.
thanks

hi
not got round to removing the mechanism and lubricating the multilock yet.
going to do it this week, but one thing i need to know, is there anything special in removing/reinstalling split spindle. how is it held in door etc.
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back