UPVC door locking stiff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a UPVC multipoint locking mechanism outside door. My problem was that the locking mechanism was quite stiff to operate even with the door open. I have tried 3 in oil and it now seems a little better. Is it a good idea to take the whole multipoint locking mechanism off and give it a good clean up and then replace it?( as far as I know the door is quite old )

Sponsored Links
Even if you took it out there wouldn't be a great deal to lube, the main gearbox my be riveted shut and pre lubed at source, if not i certainly wouldn't taking the lid off. There are holes and slots you could try getting some more oil in, i prefer to use aerosol lithium grease readily available at B&Q or hardware stores, the solvet makes it runny allowing it to get into tight spots then evapourates leaving the grease and its not so thin as to just flow away like say WD40 would, i'd also oil the locking strip from behind

Thanks for reply, maybe then its not a good idea to remove the lock mechanism, I might try a little moe 3 in one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back