uPVC Door not locking. Pictures attached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can see from the pictures. One picture (with the wall light) shows a perfectly working door - rhino hooks and all the other components fully extend when the door handle is lifted.

In the other picture the rhino hooks and all the other components only extend halfway or so when the door handle is lifted. The door handle only lifts about halfway. Although the door shuts it will not lock.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Door1.JPG
    Door1.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Door2.JPG
    Door2.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
Make sure the key isn't in that semi locked position that it is causing some fouling inside the gearbox, better still just remove it, other than that it sounds like an obstruction inside the gearbox, removing the complete mech and giving it a good shake or a swill out with WD40 might wash out some plastic swarf or worse a bit of metal which would mean a replacement gearbox(if its removable from the main strip), if not then its a total replacement mech, neither are biggy jobs really

Thanks Crank39 - much appreciated. I've checked and the key isn't in a semi locked position. It's the one uPVC door in the house that won't let you lift the handle all the way up when attempting to lock. It's clear that the hooks and bolts (right term?) aren't fully extending when lifting the handle up (which doesn't fully lift up). There are 17 screws down the side of the the door. I'll remove the screws, take out the mechanism and see if there's any obstruction and get the WD40 out also. Then re-fit. If that doesn't do it - I'll have to get a professional out! Cheers and thank you.

Only take out the 1" long self tapers, if theres any short dumpy 1cm machine threaded screws or torx headed screws put them back in as they hold the hook and centre gearboxes on to the strip, some gearboxes are riveted on while some are held on with tiny torx screws

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pointers Crank39 - much appreciated. I've seen a heck of a lot of videos on the subject so I'm (hopefully) prepared! Thanks again! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back