UPVC door not sealing...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have recently had a UPVC door fitted by a builder 'recommended' to me by a friend. Sadly, a few days after fitting it the door leaked from the bottom. I rang him and after eventually getting him to answer his phone after several days, I posed to him the problem, and was met with "just mop it up, doors leak on occasions". I fixed it myself after noticing the drainage from the door runs out to the exterior through the frame, cleverly the "builder" I use the term loosely, had sealed the door frame outside, not sealed it inside so essentially the water was escaping inside instead of out. Swapped the sealant round, problem solved...

Now, I have noticed its freezing in my porch. The door doesn't seem to be sealing on the opening side. By the handle theres quite a strong draft blowing through and there doesn't seem to be much noise reduction. Is there any adjustment in these doors? Im not going to contact the fitter again as Im sure you've gathered, my faith in him is zero... don't get me started on the job he did above the door.....:(

Any suggestions as to if and how the door could be possibly adjusted would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is the door sat on a sill? Sounds like there's no sill with base drainage, do you have little drainage holes on the front of the frame ?
Put some pics up if you can
Builders fitting doors 😡

As for tightening the door, The cams on the closing edge of the door should have an allen key head. Turning one way will tighten and the other loosen.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you for your responses. I shall take some pictures of the door today and post them this afternoon. Thanks ever so much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back