UPVC door seal problem - clueless how to fix it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

My external door has no seal at the foot of the UPVC frame, allowing water to penetrate. It looks like some kind of beading or sealant was once present, but I don't know what kind. The frame is mounted on a concrete/stone step.

View media item 36235View media item 36236
As you can see from the photos, I could run a silicone sealant bead along the gap under the frame, but this seems really amatuerish and likely to fail quickly. Surely there is a better way? I thought about sticking some quadrant beading along the gap with sealant, but even this seems a poor solution. Someone suggested to me that I should get a "weather seal", part of which actually slides into the gap under the frame; this sounds good but there doesn't appear to be enough gap to slide anything under the frame on the left hand side (as you view it) and there is some packing under the frame at the right side that would prevent me pushing anything into the gap. I'm lost as to what to do - can anyone advise please?

Incidentally, a pal gave me two "drain slot plugs" to block off the two slots in the frame - should I seal these in with frame sealant?

Sorry I'm so clueless!

Sponsored Links
the drain hole caps you have are merely to cover the drain slots at the bottom this is where any water that gets inside the frame is allowed to drain out so dont silcone caps in! they cover the slots but still allow water to escape. im afraid that there isnt really a lot you can do without taking the frame out so its just a case of sealing along the bottom it doesnt look brilliant but stick to neutral cure clear silicone and it will do the trick you can stick a quad along the bottom but dont cover the drain holes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back