Upvc door stuck in closed position

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the problem lies with the barrel.
Turning to unlock but when it gets to the position to actually unlock, it stops.
Tried key on both sides of the door, lots of lubricant.
Taken the handle off so I can get grips on the barrel to push, pull it and massage it about whislt turning the key back and forth but to no avail.
Any hints and tips folks.????
Just want to get the thing open so I can change the barrel.

Sponsored Links
It could be the cam is now out of sync with the key so it won't slide out with the key in the usual 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock position, remove fixing screw and turn the key through 360° while pushing or pulling the barrel, it may be that it slides out with the key not being in the normal position, failing that just snap the barrel

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Thanks but thought the fixing screw for the barrel can only be accessed from the side of the door when the door is open?
Can't see any other screws.
As for snapping the barrel, what's the best technique for that as only about a cm each side of the door?
Thanks

With the handle off use mole grips or an adjustable spanner on the flat part of the barrel, clamp on and give it a good sharp jolt to one side and your done, you'll need to fish out the cam once you've removed the half barrel and then with a bent screwdriver you need to prod about up in the gearbox and flip the lever over, essentially doing the job of the cam on the barrel.

It could however be the gearbox in the mechanism thats jammed and not the barrel so you may still not be able to open it, then it becomes a slightly bigger job probably for a service engineer or locksmith

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
Thanks.
Any idea roughly how much an engineer or locksmith would charge to fix it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back