upvc doors will not open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I have arental property which has some double upvc doors out into the garden.

I have recently been sprucing it up to go on the market, and have noticed that even though the lock cylinders do appear to unlock the doors with the key,the doors are jammed shut and i can t get them open.

I m wondering if the locking system has jammed on the closing edge,or indeed if the tenant has decided to sabotage them somehow and glue them shut.

Any ideas how I might get these open without breaking something?

Sponsored Links
Trial, error and force are pretty much the only way. Ideally you need to slip something between the doors to feel if the locking has disengaged.
Possibly try lifting the doors a bit while trying to open.

If your having no luck you may want to call a window company or locksmith, At least if they break them they have insurance to pay for new ones (yes I have replaced a few doors that were killed by locksmiths).

It could be likely that they have dropped and are jamming on the bottom of the frame. If this is the case they would ideally need toe and heeling. But you could try adjusting the hinges slightly to pull the door round (top hinge in, bottom out) but lifting it while trying to open it would be a good start to identifying the problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back