UPVC front door jammed shut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The MILA lock on my UPVC front door has jammed and although the key turns in the cylinder the door does not unlock. The handle has also gone very loose (it was very stiff before it stuck).

As the door cannot be opened, there's not a lot I can do to see what's gone wrong. Can anyone suggest a fix or is this a job for a locksmith?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
locksmith really, but you could try pusing the door to remove any force from the lock then try turning the handle

If the handle is loose, then it's likely the spindle hole in the mechanism has shattered, and it's this that is preventing your handles from operating the mechanism.

It's a job for a Locksmith really - likely they will prise the door away from the frame sufficiently to withdraw the mechanism and so open the door, or they may drill the door to access the mechanism - cannot remember if the Mila has the ability to draw back the mechanism from outside the casing, and I don't have my catalogue to hand.

Get a locksmith who doesn't charge by the hour, doesn't charge a callout, and will give you a fixed price on labour and parts. Try this site for a local guy - don't call one of the national setups from the YP, as they will rip you off. www.theinstituteofcertifiedlocksmiths.org

This company may be able to help, they are a UPVC maintenance company, although Im not sure if they cover your area. They are very reasonably priced and would be cheaper than a locksmith.
smartupvc 07704300199, cant remember the landline num their email is [email protected]
Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
As with any job - phone around and get a few quotes before you part with your cash.

Kbh4031 - ever had the need to call a locksmith ?. Just wondering, as you seem to think calling one is expensive.

Pick one that operates on a fixed rate (ie doesn't charge by the hour). Many times I've been out and changed a cylinder for someone, and while I've been at it I've also adjusted the hinges and strikes and lubricated the mechanism - the customer has paid for an hours labour, so I ensure they get value for money. Anyhow, rant over - I just hate it when people make sweeping comments on the back of watching some TV program.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back