UPVC exterior dorr lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

the lock handle mechanisim on my flats front door has obviously been bodged in the past - it looks like someone has tried to glue the face plates to the door. Its come away again on both sides, and I can see a srcew/bolt when I pull the faceplate away. Thining I'd finally get arount to fixin git I undid the grub screws that hold the handles on - to no avail!

I can't see how you start taking this these apart without removing the handles - any ideas?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I might have got this wrong, but your lever handle set looks similar to Union Raven. the black plastic caps come out (upwards, top and downwards, bottom) and the anodised front pulls off the plate behind it which is screwed to the door. the lever does not come off as it is attached to the screwed plate. Once you pull the face cover off, you can see the screws in the plate behind. It should not need glue :rolleyes:

When you take the plate off the lever comes with it.

I can't remember if the black caps come off before or after the face cover.

Sponsored Links
thanks John, that sounds likely - I'll have another go at it tonight and report back - think the grub screws in the handles convinced me they must come off!

cheers

the faceplate for the handles unclips/pops off the top and bottom plastic bits which are bolted thru with screw and nipple arrangement.when you install these handles you bolt them thru then literally knock the faceplates onto the plastic bits.
in the past ive used a wood chisel faced upside down and carefully popped off the handles faceplates.they can be very stubborn,ive had to drill the fixings out on one pair once as the plates refused to budge and had to replace the handles.
another thing to try,remove the faceplate off the lock (the bit that says union on it).remove the screw holding the cylinder in place and slide the cylinder out,you will probably need to turn the key slightly left or right to allow the cam to come out thru the lockcase.you might be able to get some wd40 inside the handles to make it easier for the plates to pop off ?

Doesn't the inside handle need to be removed first though - by unscrewing the grub screw. The faceplate is then free to be "popped" off

thanks for futher input guys - still havn't got it apart, though hadn't read the 'pops off' idea til this mornign. tried to prise the black plastic bits out of top and bottom, but realised they were actually screwed through so put the kettle on . . .
have tried removing the handles after undoing grub screws but they won't budge . . . will try the 'pop off' tactic tonight . . .

cheers

thanks yandownie! just fixed it . . .. . result after thinking about it for 9 months! :)
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back