upvc front door "striker/latch" and fanlight windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not sure if this is the correct term for the part I am talking about, it is the part that goes in and out when you operate the door handle. When I open the door the bit that I call the "striker/latch" on most occasions seem to stick within the mechanism. If I operate the handle a few times it will pop out or if I push it with my finger it generally releases it. My question is does anyone know what is causing this to happen and how I can rectify this annoying problem. Also the two fanlight Windows in my d/g French doors have decided they do not want to open anymore and have become firmly stuck closed. Any advice would be more than welcome to help me fix these problems.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sometimes this can be sorted by giving it a spray with something like gt85. Do not use wd40. I have had a few occasions where this has happened and not been solved by spray. Both times was with a lockmaster lock. You will see the make on the locking strop normally. If it is a lockmaster, you may be able to solve this by replacing the latch itself instead of the full gearbox.
With your windows, try lifting the as you push them open. If they open it is more than likely that they have dropped and can be adjusted on the hinges

**************moderator's note******************
please remove or edit your Signature
See forum rules
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/forum-rules-general-info.19448/

3) NO Free advertising!

Any adverts will be removed. Please contact [email protected] if you wish to advertise.

4) Posts or Signatures should not contain any contact details.

Are they still under guarantee? If so the installers should be your first call

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Rignall locksmiths I purchased a can of silicone lubricant, door now works a treat thanks. The Windows are still under guarantee Gazman 16 so will give the installers a ring, many thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back