Upvc glass swap advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a couple of misted upvc glass units on my bay window. Looked at google and YouTube and glass only seems straight forward to swap out for replacement units.
I have approx 15 year old windows with the exterior bead.
Having followed various videos I removed the internal wedge gasket. This apparently enables the glass to be shoved back loosening the exterior beads I think its called a shuffle bead system.
After removing the internal gasket the glass pane didn’t slide back it was just springy with little play and the exterior beads couldn’t slide forward to be released.
Is there something im doing wrong or do the exterior beads need to be forced out the grooves? Looks so easy on the internet how the glass slides forward and disengages the beads. No glazing tape is involved so the glass isn’t stuck in at all.
I would like to master this as my daughter and sister have some panes need replacement. Roughly measured my pane £35 to have a new one made and fit myself or had a quote for £145 for a pro to do.

Any advice/experience will be much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
On mine I put a paint scraper between the frame and bead, once it opened a bit I could pop it out with a wide flat screwdriver.

Get the Mrs to check that the glass is coming right in hard against the PVC inside while you push outside, it could some blobs of silicone put in during glazing as an extra measure in case of burglary, could be stopping the unit moving in all the way?

Sponsored Links
Jonesy.
Like Ian suggested, and the following video, I used a paint scraper.
But I started in the middle of the strip, (not at the corners) to form a slight 3mm bow in the strip and then moved left and right from this middle position so the strip moved inwards away from the corners.
SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back