uPVC handles -Animal proof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon, I wonder if anybody could help please.

I have a uPVC front door with the standard levers fitted on the internal side. My trouble is that I have a Boxer dog that has worked out how to open the door, and he keeps escaping unless the door is deadlocked while we're in the house. It's a real pain if one of my daughters goes out and locks the door behind her, only for the postman to turn up with a parcel and we're running around like headless chickens looking for a key to re-open it.

The same happens with the rear door as well.

Now you've stopped laughing, and before anybody suggests that I get rid of what is a very intelligent animal, does anybody know if a normal round handle is available instead of the lever style? I've tried the web but no luck.

Sponsored Links
I think you can get the pad handles? Not sure, Crank will be appearing soon he knows more about windows than Bill Gates does. :mrgreen:

Thanks Roofline,

Yes, we have the pad handle on the outside of the door, but it's still not dog-proof because it's a lever.

What I'm after is like the old twist type doorknob. Looks like I may have found a market for these - I'll have to get my designer hat on and scheme something out.

Cheers.

Boxers are known for their intelligence (except Chris Ewbank :rolleyes: ) sit the old boy down, in a classroom/learning environment, and explain to him the pitfalls of opening the door himself (dew-claw injury, dog-napping etc) I'm sure he'll understand and desist immediately. Failing that, leave a key in the door - surely he's not THAT clever :eek:

Sponsored Links
Depending on the handle type you have, have done one for a friend with the same problem as yours, if you can re-position the door handle upright for the time being then you can see how clever your dog is!

Failing that, leave a key in the door - surely he's not THAT clever

He is - we tried that trick and unless he hears and sees us physically lock the door he's aware that it's unlocked. Believe me, I've run down the road after him!

Brickie, that looks like a good long-term solution so thanks for that.

Masona, that was the first thing I tried, he worked that one out for himself.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back