UPVC Hinge Identification/Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace the side hung hinges in some of my windows as they have become worn. I've just measured one so I can get a replacement and it's about 10" long... which seems to be very rare/nonexistent in a side-hung variety.

So, a couple of questions:
1. Is there a way to tell whether whoever originally fitted the window used top-hung hinges by mistake? I know side-hung are better for load-bearing but have no idea how to actually tell the difference.
2. Is there any reason why I shouldn't substitute a 12"/311mm pair instead?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Brilliant - thanks!

EDIT: Actually I think someone might have crammed an 18mm wide item into a 15mm track here. This is worrying.

Last edited:
So, does this look like entirely the wrong item screwed hard into a narrow track? Excuse the crud!

upvc_hinge.jpg

Sponsored Links
Most modern windows have a "Euro groove" which is made to accommodate standard hinges. Your windows are probably just older than that but quite common.

10" side hung is no problem
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-...hash=item1c164562e6:m:m4LvdjtHlxVSZ_5GFUPutsA

Search for "egress friction hinges" the egress will ensure it is side hung (they dont do egress top hung) plus your window will open further encase you ever need to get out in an emergency.

Last thing to check is "stack height" either 13mm or 17mm. Its easier to just buy 13mm and some stack packers encase your wrong though. Otherwise you need to take a hinge out to measure it.

Final note is the holes will almost certainly be in different places to you old hinges. If you have never replaced hinges before allow plenty of time for it as until you get the hang of setting them in the correct place they are a pane in the butt to do

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back