uPVC or Hardwood door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a hardwood frame (single glazed) window to the left and half glazed hardwood back door which I repaired some time ago but is now beginning to show its age (not to mention rotten in small areas).

I recently had a single glazed window replaced with double glazed uPVC French door in the the back of the house. The front of the house is double glazed uPVC. Except for the French doors the other two windows on the back of the house are single glazed hardwood frames (also in good condition)

I am not sure whether to:

1. Replace only the back door with a good quality hardwood glazed door.
A hardwood back door with good locks (5 lever mortice, top/bottom rack bolts) seems more secure to me than a uPVC door. I recall speaking to a locksmith who seemed to think a uPVC door was easier to open without making noise?

It also seems a waste to pull out the hardwood frame which is in good condition.

2. Replace the frame and door with a double glazed uPVC unit and door.
I think this would add value to the property if we were to sell . Currently though the door has a concrete threshold with no lip. Even though our French doors have a lower threshold there is still a raised part. I'm reluctant to fit uPVC because of this.

From comparing costs of the two there doesn't seem to be a much in it between the wood or uPVC option.

It would be useful to know other peoples opinions on this as I am having trouble deciding which way to go.

Regards
Martin

Sponsored Links
I am not sure whether to:

1. Replace only the back door with a good quality hardwood glazed door.
A hardwood back door with good locks (5 lever mortice, top/bottom rack bolts) seems more secure to me than a uPVC door.
A solid door with a small window if you can, they are difficult to break into and make awful lot of noise so they tend to leave it alone.
I recall speaking to a locksmith who seemed to think a uPVC door was easier to open without making noise?
That's correct, forget the upvc doors.
It also seems a waste to pull out the hardwood frame which is in good condition.
No need to now ;)
2. Replace the frame and door with a double glazed uPVC unit and door.
Forget it :!:
I think this would add value to the property if we were to sell .
Believe it or not, it's the other way round, upvc doors and windows will not add value to your house and wood last for years unlike upvc

yes i agree that wood is more secure.
if you want a larger glazed panel, see if you can get a sealed unit fitted with laminated glass in both panes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back