uPVC Window frame moves when pushed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am in the process of buying a house and the surveyor has noticed a problem with the front window, which is when you push the window from the inside the frame moves (only slightly) . I have looked at it from the outside and it seems the top of the window frame isn't not sealed completely to the top of the hole/wall. I am on a budget so is the best option to seal it with a sealant gun of some sort? Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If there is a lintel above the window then often you are not able to fix it mechanically along the top edge of the frame. It sounds like this is the case with this one.

If the gap is <5mm then sealant should be used along the outside edge and forced in as far as possible. That will give a strong joint. If the gap is >5mm then ideally put a couple of packers in the gap to wedge it (if there are top openers then they should be packed in line with the hinges), then fill the rest with expanding foam to 5mm short of the front edge and finish with sealant when cured. If using foam then spray water using a plant mister to help it stick to the plastic and if you haven't used it before then use masking tape on the wall and the frame to prevent staining when you overfill!

Whoever fitted it either didn't bother to finish it off, or if they used sealant then it has failed and needs to be removed and replaced.

See:Is my window fitted correctly?

In our case the lack of screws was initially covered up by the sealant.

The cowboys were messy so I put some of the screws they left behind through the sides of the frames of the wobbly windows.

The vendors might sort it out themselves if asked to, especially in the current housing market.
You'd want to get this organised unofficially by ringing your estate agent.
Involving solicitors is likley to create paperwork and cause delays.
We asked for proof(receipts) of a leaking radiator being fixed to be provided, and in hindsight this added a delay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back