uPVC Window Hinge Replacement Woe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can suggest whats gone wrong here?

I replaced the hinges on a uPVC window, although awkward, no real drama...went back in, worked fine...but some of the screws that I'd used were a little smaller than those that were in there originally, and this worried me.

So I went out and bought some slightly larger ones and fitted them, one out-one in.

Now, the window doesn't shut properly because the top hinge heal doesn't go into the plastic cup any more.

I've tried everything I can think of, reducing or increasing the inset of the hinge doesn't seem to do anything. None of the screw heads are snagging anything, but the top doesn't seem to pull in as far as the bottom and the heal has damaged the plastic cup. the heal seems both too "high", and not far enough "in".

Hopefully you can see what I mean in the pictures (all taken with the window in the same, almost closed position).

I took the window out again and the hinge seems to work fine, nothing is obviously broken. The bottom hinge still looks like it would work perfectly.

Sadly I can't just re-fit the old screws because the holes are all enlarged (not sure this would help anyway).

So, what's gone wrong?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back