UPVC window installation help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, builders are installing a new window and sliding door in to new extension, looks like they just put expanding foam around the entire inside of blockwork and then put window and door inside.

Then screwed in frames and proceeded to insert glass etc..

Don't they need to use some sort of plastic pieces in between the outside of the frames and the hole in the block wall? What are those pieces for?

Help!!!

Sponsored Links
The expanding foam provides an insulating gap filler, and fixes the frame in place; once it has gone off, fixing screws can be installed for additional fixing strength. The cured foam makes the frame resistant to distortion when the fixing screws are driven home.

By 'plastic pieces', I'm not sure if you're referring to packers which can be used to shim the frame to position it correctly, or to insulated plastic cavity closers. Plastic packers may have been used and now be hidden.

Presumably, if you are having an extension built you have plans, a specification and Building Control approval so if you have any queries about the way the work has been done you can resolve these by referring to the relevant documents.

in terms of theplastic pieces i have a sample one that is blue,about 4 inches long and 1 in wide (half a cm thick). I was told that foam will move over time and usng these as well would help to secure the window or door better?

The packer you've got isn't intended to shim between the frame and the blockwork: it's designed to adjust the height & alignment of the D/G unit within the frame.

Stop worrying. Once the final rendering and plastering is done the job will be as solid as a rock.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back