uPVC window locked, no key.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently bought a house with uPVC windows. All were unlocked with no keys, except the one I now need to use to get my sofa into the front room which is locked!

I've tried picking it with a mini-flathead screwdriver and also a windshield wiper blade as per various youtube videos but to no avail. Just went to a local locksmith with a photo of the handle and he more or less said, 'we'll have to come out and replace it - that'll be £90+labour+parts'. Of course he wouldn't tell me if there was a cheap work around alternative.

It being a uPVC window, I never need to lock it again as the interior handle is effectively a lock on its own as far as anyone trying to get in from the outside is concerned. I just need to get the damn thing unlocked!

I've read that most of the keys are very similar, so if I could locate one of the correct brand I might be in business. I've uploaded a picture of the handle so if anyone with any knowledge could advise me about what make it is, that'd be great.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• lock.JPG
    lock.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 259
Sponsored Links
Ok, don't get too excited yet. It is an old London-style handle, but depending on the vintage there are different keys. The one that fitted mine was a Hoppe 2D 156, but what I did was to order all four keys that were likely candidates (2D 025, 2W 145, 2W 153).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back