UPVC window not closing properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
One of our bedroom windows isn't closing properly at the top, it's left quite a big gap around the top and sides and only the bottom section is tight to the frame.

Had a look around and suggests that the hinge is knackered but not sure how as the slider moves all the way to the end when closing, yet there's still a big gap.

Is there anyway to fix this or do the hinges need replacing.

As the bedroom is quite high up and the windows heavy I'm not confident of tackling this myself.

How much would someone normally charge for this and can anyone recommend anyone in the West Yorkshire area?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Whats happening is when you shut the window right at that point when its nearly closed the pointed bit I've marked in green should locate in a receiving cup, this holds the hinge side tight against the rubbers as obviously theres no locks on that side, I suspect yours are that worn its allowing that point to be sufficiently far enough away so as it locates outside of this cup, every friction hinge manufacturer has a variation of this cup and pointy thing but they all work the same way

20200629_170547.jpg

Thanks Crank that really made me think of how it actually works.

So I'd have to replace these then, no way to fix it?

A smear of vaseline on the cup MAY help in the point locating but to be honest it may be time for new hinges, measure the full length of yours from the cup to the end, they start at 150mm long for tiny top hung openers and increase by 50mm all the way to 600mm long, so you can get an online price just for hinges, they can be tricky to fit so best left to a service engineer/ double glazing doctor, don't bother asking a window company as it doesn't pay them enough unless they rip you off which they will try or they'll say they don't come off and you need a new window

Sponsored Links
Cheers pal that's most helpful, will ring round for some quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back