UPVC window not sealed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hope you are all good

Just something that is niggling me. I had new windows installed about 2 months ago. My neighbour pointed out to me that they haven’t sealed the upstairs window with caulk. I feel so stupid that I didn’t pick up on this myself, but I just kept out of their way and expected a professional firm to do the job properly. Has this ever happened to any of you?

Sponsored Links
Hi, assuming they're a decent company, all it should take is a call to them. Advise that one of the windows hasn't had sealant applied outside and they should be happy enough to return and rectify it for you. Maybe a genuine oversight on their part.

Thank you.
Yes I will ring them on Tuesday to explain.

Well I have rung the company concerned first thing in the morning and explained the window situation. The person answering the phone simply said ‘We will look into it.’ I will give them till 4pm this afternoon to atleast give me a curtesy call. Now they have been paid there is no incentive to return and finish the job properly .

Sponsored Links
Well I have rung the company concerned first thing in the morning and explained the window situation. The person answering the phone simply said ‘We will look into it.’ I will give them till 4pm this afternoon to atleast give me a curtesy call. Now they have been paid there is no incentive to return and finish the job properly .
Play nicey nicey with them (at least at first!) cause what you want is for them to agree to pop by and seal the window, which will take them minutes.

If you're not getting anywhere via phone, try emailing as this 'might' be seen by a wider group of people their side.

If still not getting anywhere, try an actual letter to their MD, advising of the situation and can they please arrange for the job you've paid for to be completed.

Not always easy but remain polite as this is usually the best way to get companies to engage.

I did ring this afternoon and the guy was being quite vague ….’ Yeh we’ll sort it’ I said ‘Can you give me an indication of a time frame. He says ‘We are really busy’, so I said ‘Are we talking days, weeks, months , years?’ then he says ‘We will let you know in a few days.’ I am going to wait until Friday and ring back. Thank you for your advice and I will consider emailing if it comes to it.

I did ring this afternoon and the guy was being quite vague ….’ Yeh we’ll sort it’ I said ‘Can you give me an indication of a time frame. He says ‘We are really busy’, so I said ‘Are we talking days, weeks, months , years?’ then he says ‘We will let you know in a few days.’ I am going to wait until Friday and ring back. Thank you for your advice and I will consider emailing if it comes to it.

They probably have good intentions but also probably have a full installation schedule.

Be politely persistent, make a joke, take pizz whatever - it often gets better results than getting nasty.

They've also been paid in full, the installers have also been paid by now no doubt. If it was my company at risk of getting a poor review for something I paid the fitters to do correctly a full installation schedule or not I'd be getting them to go back in THEIR time after work to finish off a window that they've been paid to install and finish

Yes they will have been paid. Its through a grant I received to insulate my home.

Threaten them and tell them you'll report it to whoever provided the grant to insulate your home citing they've actually made it worse

Threaten them and tell them you'll report it to whoever provided the grant to insulate your home citing they've actually made it worse
Yes I am thinking the same, if I have no joy. I dont feel very hopeful to be honest, after their response today; not so much as an apology or reassurance . However, I am going to give them a chance to put it right.

After two emails (both ignored) and 4 phone calls they have finally booked my window in for next Friday. As it’s not sealed from the outside there has been movement in the window frame and the caulk seal on the internal side of the window has started to split in one corner of the window; it’s an area of about 12” x 6”.

I will be leaving a review for them. A lesson learnt. Check all work carefully and not blindly leave it up to the experts. Once they have received payment they are no longer interested.

Also check that under the external window sill has been caulked too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back