uPVC window wont open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I just moved into a new flat and the windows in the bedroom were working fine, however over the weekend my partner closed the window, locked it and then realised the left edge (opposite to the handle edge) wasnt sitting flush. So she tried to re-open it, but the window is now jammed. I have attached a couple of pictures to try and show what I mean, any help on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Unlock the handle and turn 90degrees and slowly push the window open. Putting your strength of the handle edge, the bracket might have been bent but sometimes can be returned to it original shape once opened.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Unlock the handle and turn 90degrees and slowly push the window open. Putting your strength of the handle edge, the bracket might have been bent but sometimes can be returned to it original shape once opened.

Andy

Thanks, I tried that and it wouldn't budge. Investigating further it seems maybe the sliding rod (sorry don't know the technical term!) that fits into the bracket when you lock it may be stuck, there is definite resistance when I tried to push/force the window open...is there anyway to manually move this mechanism to unlock it if it has broken and no longer lifts using the handle?

I think your problem lies with the friction hinge(basically the window hinge)There is a small black plastic section that slides in the stainless track which holds all the arms of the hinge together. It is a weak point and if it breaks, what has happened to you usually occurs. To close the window, you need to go outside and push the edge that wont locate back into the frame while someone inside faffs around with the handle (leading edge ) side. You will probably have to close it properly before it will open again. When you get it open, inspect the aforementioned sliders for breakage. The fix is cheap and simple, just replace the hinges with ones from screwfix or toolstation - less than a tenner a pair. Be aware that as well as different lengths of hinge, 250,300,450 etc there are different stack heights of 13 and 17mm. Older windows use a 13mm, newer 17mm - it is just the height, when closed together, of the hinge. Dont be phased by the job, its a simple fix with just few basic tools. Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back