upvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all
i would like to ask for some advice for my upvc windows pls.
they are about 10-15 yrs old and still in good condition except for one corner letting a draught through. i am usually good at diy but have never tackled upvc windows. i would like to know how to remove the offending frame part and refit properly. i dont even know if the beading is inside or outside. any help will be appreciated. as you may be able to see there is white tape covering the gap where the draught is coming in. the black rubber part is on the inside of the house if that helps. the offending frame does not open but the one above does open. is this a diy job or does it require special tools and how much would a window fitter charge to repair it. thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 20181207_140144.jpg
    20181207_140144.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20181207_140152.jpg
    20181207_140152.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
They are externally glazed windows. That bottom part looks like a ' dummy sash ' which to remove you would have to deglaze ( looks like you can remove the wedge gasket ( black gasket you can see ) and then push the glass back to release the beads. Once deglazed you should have screws holding the the ' dummy sash ' in ...some manufactures do actually fit window hinges on dummy sashes, so once the screws are removed it may open as a normal opening . You should then be able to replace the gaskets, or ' seal ' that draughty corner with some silicone . Then refit sash and glass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back