Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

extending house and I would like to change the colour of the existing windows to match new windows.
Old windows are white, for extension nee windows I want to go with anthracite grey out and white inside.

would like to change the colour of existing windows to match.

is it good idea to paint white window frame to anthracite grey? Is it durable?

or replace window?

what do you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Well, here's my thoughts:

Are the old windows in good order? UPVC doesn't always last very long.
Will you benefit from the improved soundproofing of more modern windows?
Will you be able to achieve a decent match of the frame profiles, ignoring the colour?
Will you be able to match the colours?
How does the cost compare of replacing with painting/having painted? Don't forget about the disruption of having them ripped out and maybe having to make good the plaster inside.

Personally I think anthracite windows are a fad no longer in their heyday but it's your house.

Make sure you pay on credit card so you're protected if there's a problem and the installer goes bust.

I have never tried to paint uPVC but there are a number of polyurethane (spray) paints that seem to be considered suitable for the task.

I have painted plastic rainwater pipes, meter cabinets, switch surrounds, with good results, using spirit-based non-drip gloss in a single flowing coat (no primer or undercoat)

after thoroughly cleaning the surface, rub it with white spirit on on green or white nylon scourer to remove any oxidised surface, degrease, and degloss.

If you are not a skilled painter, practice a bit first. don't do it in sun or it will dry too fast.

Sponsored Links
Well, here's my thoughts:

Are the old windows in good order? UPVC doesn't always last very long.
Will you benefit from the improved soundproofing of more modern windows?
Will you be able to achieve a decent match of the frame profiles, ignoring the colour?
Will you be able to match the colours?
How does the cost compare of replacing with painting/having painted? Don't forget about the disruption of having them ripped out and maybe having to make good the plaster inside.

Personally I think anthracite windows are a fad no longer in their heyday but it's your house.

Make sure you pay on credit card so you're protected if there's a problem and the installer goes bust.

I agree that coloured windows and doors are a fad , depending on the quality of the UPVC the colour can fade due to sunlight .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back