Urea formaldehyde (UF) glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone on a fire safety forum has said you should use Urea Formaldeyde glue for relipping fire doors. The carpenter is taking them to a machine shop..
Anyone know any UK brand names and where you can buy it?

Sponsored Links
I buy my UF glue from Adkwik. You could also try Glues Direct, although any good commercial ironmongers should carry a UF glue in stock. Brands include Cascamite, Cascaphen, etc. You will need to wear a dust mask when handling and mixing it - this is a standard precaution when handling very fine powders (I somehow doubt than inhaling a lung full of very fine adhesive dust would be good for you, though).You will also need to clamp the lipping whilst the glue sets (12 to 24 hours) - probably 5 or 6 sash cramps plus timber cauls to spread the pressure evenly - pins or screws are unlikely to provide enough pressure go ensure a good joint (and you need to keep the glued joints under pressure as UF is not a gap filling glue). Any joiner worth his salt should know this, though

But I'm surprised that anyone on a fire safety forum would recommend relipping yourself these days. I used to do this quite a bit (trestles, plunge saw and guide rail to do the cut on site). Modifications such as this are (now) normally considered to (potentially) void the manufacturer's fire rating on the door - especially in the aftermath of the Grenfell inquiry

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back