Urgent advice on painting. Not drying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help.

First time painting so very new to this all.

Painted living room with 2x coats of Dulux (grey tone /Chic Shadow) It has been over 24h and certain corners are not dry yet.

They seem to be the walls which are towards the external so may be why. The main is concern is however on a wall where there are two very odd oval patches not drying..... Really not sure what the issue could be.

The wall was painted in a pale yellow before, we didn't use an undercoat. I also believe there used to be a fireplace in this spot so I am leaning towards it may be related to this?

Anyone can share any tips on what we should do?? Really stuck as everything else seems fine!!!

Thanks so much

See pic attached

Attachments

• 20190107_182508.jpg
    20190107_182508.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 549
Sponsored Links
how are you ventilating the room?

the chimney has no visible airbricks to ventilate the flue, so it will be damp inside from condensation. I wonder if those two oval patches are where airbricks used to be and have been plastered over. They are very regularly spaced. Drill a 25mm hole through each and see what you find.

I was literally going to start a thread on the same subject so I’ll jump in on this one if that’s okay. I painted our bedroom on Saturday morning. Walls just emulsion and dried almost immediately but when doing the skirting, architrave and windowsill I found I had just enough (3/4”) of Dulux white satinwood left over in a can I bought and used last year so I used that. I gave it a stir first as it had a bit of what looked like oil/varnish on top. It’s still tacky now and the windows were left open all day Sunday so it’s not a ventilation problem. Any ideas what’s gone wrong?

As JohnD suggests, the sealed up chimney breasts need ventilation, otherwise moisture only has one way to escape - through the wall. What you have is a common occurrence and usually appears near where the fireplace opening was or higher, towards the ceiling. You also have a little patch above the skirting which could be condensation, some minor damp, or a water ingress issue. It may all dry out if the weather stays dry and warm for a while, but if it returns during rain, get it checked out.

Sponsored Links
I was literally going to start a thread on the same subject so I’ll jump in on this one if that’s okay. I painted our bedroom on Saturday morning. Walls just emulsion and dried almost immediately but when doing the skirting, architrave and windowsill I found I had just enough (3/4”) of Dulux white satinwood left over in a can I bought and used last year so I used that. I gave it a stir first as it had a bit of what looked like oil/varnish on top. It’s still tacky now and the windows were left open all day Sunday so it’s not a ventilation problem. Any ideas what’s gone wrong?

Based on your description, I assume that it was oil based Satinwood. I suspect that you didn't stir it for long enough.

Whilst airflow is important for OB paints, heat will help the curing process.

You could add some terebene to the paint and apply another coat but if you'd rather not it should be ok in a week or so.

It is also cold and humid out at the moment, and this makes drying slower. Are you both heating the rooms you are painting?

It is also cold and humid out at the moment, and this makes drying slower. Are you both heating the rooms you are painting?
Yep, room heated.
Based on your description, I assume that it was oil based Satinwood. I suspect that you didn't stir it for long enough.

Whilst airflow is important for OB paints, heat will help the curing process.

You could add some terebene to the paint and apply another coat but if you'd rather not it should be ok in a week or so.

I did give it a good stir and it’s just about drying off now.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Just watch it, it will dry faster ;)

My local pub was supposed to be closed Monday and Tuesday for repainting.
Still closed today. Saw the landlady inside, literally watching the paint dry (slowly).

My local pub was supposed to be closed Monday and Tuesday for repainting.
Still closed today. Saw the landlady inside, literally watching the paint dry (slowly).

One of my spit'n'sawdust locals repainted whilst the customers were in the pub. Things like ceilings were done at night. Fortunately for the pub, the decorator had previously worked for me and I told him to add terebene to the black gloss, otherwise a lot of punters would have had black marks on their clothes the next day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back