Urgent advice req - roof support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been up in my roof to look at some rot in the beams around a Velux and I've noticed this situation with the wall fixing for one of the main supports. Can someone tell me if this looks to be at urgent risk of collapse? Seriously considering calling someone out.

Sponsored Links
So having done some fairly panicked reading around I realised I should provide more context. This is a purlin end in a 1900s mid terrace. The other end is set into the chimney breast brickwork. There is limited evidence of rot in some of the beams in the centre of this elevation, around a Velux window, I think due to condensation (why I was up there anyway)

If the purlin slips from the plate will the whole roof collapse or just sag? The roof span is 7m front to back.

Anyway wife has now walked out on me due to my house falling down paranoia. Think I may have bigger problems than roof falling

Is it a metal plate?

It does look a little precarious, though it could well have been like that for years. Why not get a short length of steel angle and bolt it to the wall underneath?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back