Urgent Query - Garden Gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having an aluminium garden gate fitted today which weighs around 45kg. It will be mounted onto an aluminium fence gate post that will be set into concrete. However the gate post on side butts up against the brickwork of my house and given the weight of the gate, I am thinking of getting the gate post bolted into the wall for extra support and sturdiness.

My issue is that the gate posts also will not sit perfect flush up against the wall because of the brickwork being slightly irregular and the post having a cap that protrudes over the edges. I'm wondering if it makes sense to use glazing packers to act as spacers when we attach the post to the wall and set it into concrete.

Any suggestions on whether this is the right way to go would be really helpful. Or alternative suggestions. Job I'd starting later today so I'd really appreciate any immediate thoughts.

Sponsored Links
The hinge side takes all the force.

yes space post off wall so it can sit vertical.

avoid being near corner if you can

drill into centre of bricks

If it is a tall gate, adding a lintel to join the tops of the two posts will steady them and prevent them leaning together (or apart)

The hinge-side post of my sideway gate is fixed to the house wall with steel studding, passing right through the wall with nuts and washers on the inside, and recessed into the post on the outside. Very strong and will not shake loose like screws into brickwork.

In my case it's a garage on the inside, so the appearance of the inside nuts does not matter.

Thank you, that's really helpful.

Just to confirm, I can use glazing packers? Also when we screw into the bricks, what sort of mounting fixture should we use? I won't them screw directly into the brickwork without a mounting fixture, that's absurd!

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd use penny washers, glazing packers are hardly attractive though you don't say if the gap is a few m or a few cms.

What do you mean by 'mounting fixture'? You'll have to use plugs and screws or expansion bolts or similar.

as above but stainless?
overtime, zinc washers will rust and stain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back