URGENT WARNING

Sponsored Links
Igorian, I know the pitfalls, and I understand this is time liited, but when you look at other paid for removers, this one kicks ass. I know a lot of people bash MS, and they don't do themselves any favours by staying silent. But on the whole this a good program and if people have to pay a subscription for it in the future then whats the issue..

Freeware may be good, but paid ware if often better as there is more of an incentive for the producer to update it and improve flaws.

While i am not argueing the points here as i know sod all about computers, it does make me wonder if there is truth in the rumours of virus's and spyware etc, are actually mostly made by the samne people who sell the stuff to get rid of them. The fact that windows may make you pay for this service in the future makes me think along those lines.

Freddie said:
While i am not argueing the points here as i know sod all about computers, it does make me wonder if there is truth in the rumours of virus's and spyware etc, are actually mostly made by the samne people who sell the stuff to get rid of them. The fact that windows may make you pay for this service in the future makes me think along those lines.

I hear this a lot, but most of it is tracking cookies from companies looking to sell you stuff by monitoring your habits, although there are other malicious trojens and the like. If it was true, it would only take a disgruntled employee to blow the lid and expose them and they would be out of business.

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
Igorian, I know the pitfalls, and I understand this is time liited, but when you look at other paid for removers, this one kicks ass. I know a lot of people bash MS, and they don't do themselves any favours by staying silent. But on the whole this a good program and if people have to pay a subscription for it in the future then whats the issue..

Freeware may be good, but paid ware if often better as there is more of an incentive for the producer to update it and improve flaws.

Oh, I agree, it's a nice product with some good features. I was really trying to highlight that the more products you try, the more you are likely to dig up.

BTW, our record to date on a customers machine was 5684 pieces of spyware, identified with a product called Pestpatrol. :eek:

Igorian said:
Freddie said:

I hear this a lot, but most of it is tracking cookies from companies looking to sell you stuff by monitoring your habits, although there are other malicious trojens and the like. If it was true, it would only take a disgruntled employee to blow the lid and expose them and they would be out of business.

Very good point i had never thought of that.

But why does windows want to charge us for it, if the updates are free surely they are linked as if the updates are good then they shouldnt let the spyware in.

Freddie said:
Very good point i had never thought of that.

But why does windows want to charge us for it, if the updates are free surely they are linked as if the updates are good then they shouldnt let the spyware in.

Well, the MS product is in Beta, which means it's a version that has been released to the public so that they can test it and report any bugs before it's released for subscription/purchase (if that makes sense).

Just imagine how many people are involved in the analysis, development and marketing of such products. The costs can run to hundreds, thousands or even millions of £, hence the need to charge.

Any anti-virus/spyware product (like an MOT) is only really valid for the moment in time it was developed. A microsecond later, some dude could develop a new nasty that no-one has thought of.

I was talking to a mate of mine that actually works for Microsoft here in the UK, and he says he knows of no plans for this to be a paid subscription product.

Tony works in the marketing dept so would be aware of any plans building to launch a new product as Microsoft have all the machinery in place about 6 months prior to launch.

From what he understands, MS Antispyware will be FREE to all those with Licensed MS products on their system and agree to take part in the validation process. He thinks it may even be bundled in with new versions of Operating systems and Office bundles in future so people have it free, but will have the choice of whether to install or not..

We shall see I suppose..

It is most probably part of Misrosofts strategy to get rid of pirated copies. If you do not have a validated legitimate copy then they will not give you the 'free' anti-virus updates. So you really pay for it when you buy windows.

Microsoft has a problem about piracy. If they refuse to give you the updates it encourages people to get legitimate copies. But considering there are probably millions of computers running pirated o/s, if they all get infected with the same virus it can utterly screw up the internet and legitimate users. So if they completely refuse to let these people have updates it damages their reputation and the capability of their legitimately licensed versions.

The thing I think MS should stop trying to be Nice about it.

I have bought, legitimately, every version of their OS's over the years..except for Micrshaft Encephalytus (Me)..and I have spent an absolute fortune on them. I have NEVER used copied software..even when I cried parting with the cash for legit copies.

These anchors take money from our pockets, MS admit that 15% of the cost of their products is to cover the losses of pirated copies, and that 20% is for securioty features to prevent illegal copies..as much as is possible..with the new sw anyway.

This mean that 35% of the money we pay MS, and likely other vendors too, is so others can get this stuff cheap..

I'm sorry, I pay enough Tax already..MS should install features that block the undating of illegal versions, infact I would inatll software that if people connect these to the internet, they then contact the MS server which then disables the software so it will not work!

So, I read somewhere here that a "BETA" is a 1st version, so why isn't it called ALPHA ??

BETA is the first version considered stable enough to release on the public, prior to the general release version. Products in Alpha are for the system testers only.

Prevention is better than cure! ;)

Since using Mozilla Firefox instead of IE, I get very few spy/adwares. I am also very wary of installing dodgy software, e.g. Kazaa or any "free" software that installs spyware.

Both Ad-aware and Spybot, for me, does the job well. :)

Igorian said:
BETA is the first version considered stable enough to release on the public, prior to the general release version. Products in Alpha are for the system testers only.
Cheers Ig, learn something new every day (but ignore most of it ;) )

nad said:
Prevention is better than cure! ;)

Since using Mozilla Firefox instead of IE, I get very few spy/adwares.

Got to say the best advice.

Junk the microsofty and go for something much safer.

Sponsored Links
Back