US gun campaigner shot

Sponsored Links
How embarrassing for her...
What the hell is a loaded .45 doing on the back seat? Beyond stupidity.

Sponsored Links
Say what you like about this, statisics speak louder. Gun free zones have the highest murder rates and this is primarily because criminals know that civilians do not have a weapon to defend themselves. In my view, so long as the police are able to carry guns, so should citizens.

That's an interesting opinion. How did you form it? Do you think that the UK, with a low level of gun ownership, has a higher murder rate than the US, with a high level of gun ownership?

Can you reconcile your opinion with, for example:

"Case-control studies, ecological time-series and cross-sectional studies indicate that in homes, cities, states and regions in the US, where there are more guns, both men and women are at higher risk for homicide, particularly firearm homicide"

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/

Do you know how the firearm homicide rate in gun-rich Switzerland compares with the rate in gun-poor UK?

That's an interesting opinion. How did you form it? Do you think that the UK, with a low level of gun ownership, has a higher murder rate than the US, with a high level of gun ownership?

Can you reconcile your opinion with, for example:

"Case-control studies, ecological time-series and cross-sectional studies indicate that in homes, cities, states and regions in the US, where there are more guns, both men and women are at higher risk for homicide, particularly firearm homicide"

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/

Do you know how the firearm homicide rate in gun-rich Switzerland compares with the rate in gun-poor UK?

There are lies, there a damned lies, & then there are statistics.

Please stop inventing your imaginary statistics to suit your agenda.

I like target shooting, I really do. At one time I was tipped for future Olympic squad selection & if you didn't know this . . . the UK has always done very well in Olympic target shooting.

I bought my first hand gun before I bought my first car. It cost me £1100 quid & it took me 6mth's to persuade the local police sergeant that I wouldn't murder everyone within a 15ml radius.

I handed over all of my hand guns after the event of Dunblane 20yrs ago.

Today, I can buy that very same model of hand gun from the boot of a car for less than £500. The local police sergeant need never know.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

I still own several guns. I'm often out shooting live animals on the pretence of pest control or (laughably) the need to put food on the table, but most of all I do it because I'm good at it.

You could say that I'm very heavily into guns. Therefore I take a BIG interest in most things gun related.

You don't. You think that if all the guns went away then nobody gets hurt.

You are not just wrong, you are horribly wrong. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Instead of locking all the guns away, why don't we just lock all the Thomas Hamilton's away?

You don't know what I think.

Then post your source of trusted & respected statistics.

Don't post your waffle about guns killing people because we'll only prove you wrong in the minds of right thinking people.

Then post your source of trusted & respected statistics.
If you were too excited to read the link I already posted, why should I post again?

Get a grip on yourself.

I gather you translate "right thinking people" as "people who agree with me"

As you've already worked yourself into a frenzy, have a go at answering the two questions I posted earlier.

Perhaps, I'm not suggesting it is so, just hypothesising, that there is a correlation between the desire to own a handgun and the propensity to kill.
I'm not suggesting that everyone who wishes to own a handgun wishes, or intends to kill with it, but the willingness to do so must obviously be there, if they're prepared to carry it at all or most times.

I suspect, but I don't know 'cos I haven't researched it, and I ain't going to, that the correlation extends only to owning handguns, rather than to other sorts of firearms, such as rifles, shotguns, antique firearms, etc.
Although, I'd obviously put such equipment as assault weapons, etc in the same category as handguns.

I also suspect that the UK legislation around owning such weapons as rifles, shotgun, antique firearms, etc goes a long way towards reducing killings by firearms. And conversely the absence of legislation in places such as USA, increases the likelihood of killings by firearms.

Instead of locking all the guns away, why don't we just lock all the Thomas Hamilton's away?

Well how do you identify the potential Thomas Hamiltons or Michaels Ryans?

It's been noted that one of the early indicators of psychopathic tendencies is the behaviour of the individual towards animals

I'm often out shooting live animals on the pretence of pest control or (laughably) the need to put food on the table, but most of all I do it because I'm good at it

So you shoot (and presumably kill) animals under the pretence of one or other reason but primarily because you enjoy shooting animals?

Well that should put you on the watch list and preclude you from holding firearms.

If it was shooting you enjoyed then target shooting would satisfy you, but it would appear by your own words that you enjoy killing things.

And yes, before you ask, I have discharged a wide variety of weapons under various circumstances (pretty much ever calibre from 0.177 through to 84 mm). More than happy to spend the day on a 1000 yard range - very satisfying.

The people who worry me (and other people I know) are people like you - wandering around with a weapon and killing animals for the fun of killing animals.

Sponsored Links
Back