USB Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I bought a video camera Cannon Legria FS200 but I lost the charger which had a USB end. I have a charger for a car vacuum with a simmilar voltage (9.6) and I wanted to cut a USB cable and connect the end to the vacuum charger. What I have done is connect the USB black and red cable to the red and black from the charger but it does not seem to charge ( I checked the polarity with my tester). I have then removed the battery and connect directly the red cable to the + and the black to the - as printed in the battery pack but the battery does not seem to take charge. Anyone knows what I am doing wrong?
Thanks.
North

Sponsored Links
USB is 5vdc not 9.6 so to charge from a USB with a 9.6volt battery it would need to have a DC to DC inverter to raise the voltage.

It does state it has:- Intelligent battery system and high speed charging

So one can expect some special electronics to do this plus the BP-808 battery is 7.2v not 5v or 9.6v.

As far as I can see on web sites like with my D-SLR the battery is not charged from the USB but needs a separate battery charger. With my D-SLR I have from time to time left it connected to PC and completely discharged the battery.

My Camcorder has special base and again needs both USB or Firewire and a power supply.

USB is standard, so you modified it, and probably blew up your camera, just insert it into a USB source. ie a computer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back