usb optical mouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys. I normally have a ps/2 mouse connected up to my pc and have bought a small usb optical corded mouse to my little daughter for her to use on my same pc.
1) do i have to uninstall the ps/2 mouse and disconnect it
before i connect up the usb mouse to the pc?
2) when my daughter comes off the pc and i want to reconnect my ps/2 mouse what shall i do?............just unplug the usb mouse and reconnect the ps/2 mouse?
Please give me step by step instruction as i am not very techie and also note that i can not find my xp cd rom with all the microft drivers should i need to reinstall the ps/2 mouse driver.
Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Dotto,
You do not uninstall anything.
I am not sure if the pointer will work with both plugged in together, but try it, no harm can be done, it may only recognise the ps2 mouse with them both plugged in together.

If it recognises both mouses, then fine, just leave your ps2 plugged in and on one side out of the way.

If it does not recognise both together, then just unplug one and use the other. To change over just unplug the one and plug the other in.
No need to change software or drivers etc, Windows will just recognise each one as a plu&play hardware item.

Just plug it in.

Windows will recognise both mouses, so you can fight for control of the curser :D

Sometimes useful to have 1 hand moving & another pushing buttons.

I have an optical mouse (& separate keyboard) connected to my laptop via a Sitecom USB Hub. The laptop recognises both the optical mouse and the touchpad at the same time. It also recognises both keyboards at the same time. Don't know if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Should be ok. Just plug the usb mouse into a spare usb port. Windows should detect it and auto install. No need to unplug your ps2 mouse. FYI I have a usb mouse plugged in and also a cordless Kensington mouse plugged in via ps2 port (I use the Kensington for games where I need the pointer to move on one axis only. either up or across)

Should be ok. Just plug the usb mouse into a spare usb port. Windows should detect it and auto install. No need to unplug your ps2 mouse. FYI I have a usb mouse plugged in and also a cordless Kensington mouse plugged in via ps2 port (I use the Kensington for games where I need the pointer to move on one axis only. either up or across)
Thanks guys. I had to go in Device Manager to reinstall some drivers and in the end it worked. Thanks again 4 your time

Back