usb to serial hdd connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i've got a bit of a dilemma and wondering if anyone has any advice or experience on this

i need to get data off a really old PC that doesn't have usb ports. initially i wanted to plug in a usb hdd and transfer data off that way.

i then remembered from my last job as a school ict technician that some of the whiteboards were connected to PCs via serial to usb converters ;) :idea:

i'm wondering if it's possible to use a serial to usb converter and connect my usb hdd in this way to the old PC? has anyone ever tried to do this? if so what were your experiences?

thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
hi,

i've got a bit of a dilemma and wondering if anyone has any advice or experience on this

i need to get data off a really old PC that doesn't have usb ports. initially i wanted to plug in a usb hdd and transfer data off that way.

i then remembered from my last job as a school ict technician that some of the whiteboards were connected to PCs via serial to usb converters ;) :idea:

i'm wondering if it's possible to use a serial to usb converter and connect my usb hdd in this way to the old PC? has anyone ever tried to do this? if so what were your experiences?

thanks for your time.

I think you'd have more luck getting an IDE to USB converter or caddy, taking the HDD out of the machine and plugging it into the new machine.

Got a usb to ide device for £5 of ebay, works with sata and 2.5" drives as well.

Sponsored Links
USB = Serial (Universal Serial bus) :D

have a look at the motherboard of your current PC, some still had IDE as well as USB ports on them, allowing you to connect it up to it.

This would mean that you need spend no money, purchase nothing that only gets used the once etc.

Back