USB HDD in a hub?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 'ol pc has run out of USB ports so I bought a cheap 4 way hub. It works for mouse & a card reader together, but not for a WD MyPassport HD, even if nothing else is plugged into the other 3 sockets. HDD works on the "source" USB, fine.

Is that expected?

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing the HDD doesn't come with an external power supply and gets it's power through the USB socket?

If so, then the cheap USB hub can't supply enough current for it. Ideally you want an externally powered USB hub. I have one of these...

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dub-h7-7-port-usb-2-0-hub

It comes with a 3 amp DC power supply for when you need more power for HDDs or DVD/CD drives, but it can also operate without the power supply for just 'normal use' like mouse/memory stick/etc, by getting it's power from the PC.

If your HDD is USB 3.0, then you don't want this one though! (unless your PC only has USB 2, then it'd be fine)

Gaz :)

You're right. I expected it to be OK if nothing was sharing the same connection. Don't understand why it couldn't use the same power supply connections as the socket it's plugged in to:confused:
At £1.26 for two delivered I might go in.. Maybe I can plug a phone charger into a piggyback micro usb socket, I've got loads...

I guess any powered hub would work - cheapest I find in uk is this on ebay

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back