Ins and outs of usb / cards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way to use/not use them?

Bought an 8gb sd card, worked in a card rader (7GB it said).
Then tried it in a camera which I found only works with sdhc cards when they're large. It recorded 1gb or so of pics then error - needed formatting. Now it won't work at all.

Bought a usb hub which also takes cards, but it only works sometimes. It has a power-in socket (5v) but no instructions of any use. For a single connection (mouse) should it need power?

Sponsored Links
I had similar problems recently trying to buy a bigger SD card for an XDA. Bought an expensive branded 2GB card, the XDA recognises it as 1GB, the PC 2GB (works fine) and the mac 2GB (hangs when you try to copy over 1GB).

From searching on the net I believe there are only compliance standards for up to 1GB cards so while manufacturers try to maintain compatability there is no guarantee it will work. The newer the device you are using the more likely it will work with large SD cards though.

As for your USB hub I'd be inclined to say it needs the 5v power whatever.

Seem to be having more trouble. How are usb card reader/writers supposed to work?
WHen I plug the thing in to the USB port the PC goes bom-bim (low high) and offers to download any pics which are on a (new, 4GB sdhc) card in it. But windows explorer can't see the card properly - ??
It has become "Compact Flash Drive G" but says "insert a disc" when I try to access the contents of the card.

ChrisR said:
Seem to be having more trouble. How are usb card reader/writers supposed to work?
WHen I plug the thing in to the USB port the PC goes bom-bim (low high) and offers to download any pics which are on a (new, 4GB sdhc) card in it. But windows explorer can't see the card properly - ??
It has become "Compact Flash Drive G" but says "insert a disc" when I try to access the contents of the card.

MY work pc is having problems like that.
the it guy came in, he has reloaded the windows drivers & it sees the card but not whats on it..hes on the case now, bit lik me dont like to be beaten

Sponsored Links
If it bongs it only means it has recognised the card reader , not the card in it, had many problems with various sd cards whatever the manufacturer, often need replacing by retailer.Many of the card adpators [mini, micro sd card etc] are also poor quality and do not always give a good connection, also camera, phone slots can wear and a single pin bent a few 100's of a mm will cause failure to read.

Back