usb.....V...usb.2 ?

• Thread starter confidentincompetent
  • Start date
C

confidentincompetent

Hi.I dropped my old (4yr old :rolleyes: ) samsung digimax digital camera and it's phut :eek: So time to buy new. I've been looking at a samsung 6mp for £99.00. which I reckon will do for me. However on the spec it says USB.2. But my pc only has old usb. Am I right in thinking I have to install a usb. 2 card . Main question>>> Will usb 2 be possible to install on my 5yrold pc ?which is a
Vulcan 1023.
amd athlon xp 1500.
133mhz
640 ram

Next question might be about memory cards as old cam was compact flash, notice there are new types (to me anyhow) xd, xdi etc duhhhh...
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
USB2 is backwards compatible so it'll work fine without you changing anything. You could get a usb2 pci card that you just plug into your motherboard though - that'll make uploading photos to your pc much faster.
You'll be able to connect your camera without problems, but you can always get a mutli card reader that read more or less any type of memory card.

Ahh cheers for that col. Will be looking more confidently :LOL: Tomorrow
John

Sponsored Links
BASELINE:
No good camera is cheap.
If it has a large resolution and uses XD then your getting screwed.
XD is expensive and has a high failure rate. If it does have xd, make sure you also get a card reader and memory card recover software.

CF offers the most for the lowest price. Downside = Its big. About a square inch.

XD, SD, and MS use the same type of technology.
MS is overpriced and big = SONY OBVIOUSLY
SD is the best for small size, cheaper, and smaller than ms, and equally reliable.

XD is the worst possible format since the memory chips are MADE IN KOREA.
Low quality manufacturing and a lot of junk units get past QC. The filesystem will get easily damaged, slightly damaging the last picture written to the filesystem. Also, the filesystem will be invisible to your camera and your computer and both will ask you to format the card.
DONT say yes. There is recovery software for this kind of problem.

Also, many thumbdrives use the same memory cores as the xd card. The cheap ones carry this. When buying XD, all your paying for is the trademark...same with Sony MS....

Back